According to The Joy of Cooking, there are two types of corn bread: southern corn bread and northern corn bread. Northern corn bread is cakier, thanks to the addition of flour. Southern corn bread (the good stuff in our opinion) is flourless and therefore gluten-free!
Note: You need a 9-inch cast iron skillet for this recipe.
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 ¾ cup cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
2 large eggs
2 cups fat-free buttermilk
somewhere between 1/3 and ½ cup honey
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Place rack in upper third of oven.
2. Add butter to cast iron skillet.
3. In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, baking powder and baking soda.
4. In another bowl, whisk the eggs until they become frothy.
5. Add the buttermilk to the frothy eggs and whisk.
6. Add the buttermilk and eggs to the dry ingredients. Add honey to the dry ingredients. Whisk until blended.
7. Place cast iron skillet in oven until the butter melts and starts to brown. Remove the skillet. Pour batter into the skillet and bake 20-25 minutes, until the top is browned and the center is firm.