Looks like compost. Tastes like dinner.
Seriously, this is delicious and—even with all the dicing—it was ready in less than 30 minutes.
(Adapted from Everyday with Rachel Ray)
1 eggplant, diced
2 small zucchini, diced
4 plum tomatoes, diced
1 large red onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
4 cloves of garlic, sliced
a few dashes of dried thyme
a few dashes of dried rosemary
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 ½ cups skim milk
1 ½ cups vegetable stock
1 cup quick-cooking polenta
1/3 to ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
2 tbsp. honey
2 tbsp. butter
1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. Combine eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, red onion, red bell pepper, garlic, thyme and rosemary in a large bowl. Drizzle with EVOO (2 – 4 tbsp.) and toss to coat.
3. Spread the vegetables out on rimmed baking sheets and roast until the veggies are just tender (18-22 minutes).
4. Heat milk and vegetable stock in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the polenta and cook, whisking, until it’s thick and creamy (about 2 minutes). Remove from heat.
5. Stir butter, honey and cheese into the polenta.
6. In another saucepan, heat a dollop (a little less than 1 tbsp.) of EVOO over medium heat. Add the beans and cook, stirring, until heated through.
7. Add the beans to the roasted vegetables and toss.
8. Serve the ratatouille on a bed of polenta.