This was the first of Pete’s two birthday cakes. It was awesomely delicious and insanely easy to make—and it was perfectly attractive until some idiot (me) put the candles in the cake while it was still warm.
(Adapted from Elana’s Pantry)
3 eggs, separated
¼ tsp. sea salt
½ cup agave nectar
¼ cup canola oil
3 brown bananas, mashed
heaping ½ cup cacao powder
1. Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 9-inch springform pan.
2. Combine egg yolks, agave and salt in a blender and blend for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add oil and banana and blend again until combined.
4. Add cacao powder…and blend.
5. Add the egg whites to the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk until they form stiff peaks.
6. Gently fold the contents of the blender into the bowl with the egg whites.
7. Pour batter into pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
*It’s quite tasty topped with a dollop of Banilla yogurt.