Did you know that popovers get their puffiness from steam? (That little factoid will be in the next edition of Things I Learned, but who knows when I’ll actually get around to posting that…)
Popovers used to be a Christmas morning tradition. Then I went gluten-free and ruined everything. And then I saved the day by finding a recipe for gluten-free popovers that are just as awesomely delicate and delicious as the real thing. And we all lived happily ever after. The end.
(Adapted from King Arthur Flour)
1 cup Gluten-Free All Purpose flour
¼ tsp. xanthan gum
½ tsp. salt
1 ¼ cup skim milk
3 tbsp. butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 400° and grease 12 cups of a popover pan or muffin pan.
2. Combine milk, butter and eggs in a blender. Mix on medium speed until well-combined.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, xanthan gum and salt.
4. Add the flour mixture to the blender and blend at medium-high until the batter is smooth.
5. Fill each muffin/popover cup about 2/3 full and bake for 25 minutes.
6. Reduce the heat to 350° and bake for 10 minutes, until the popovers brown.
7. King Arthur says: remove from the oven and let the popovers rest for 5 minutes before serving. I say: remove from the oven and serve immediately.