These delicious little bars are like Larabars, but better. What makes them better? 1.) They’re homemade and fresh…and delicious (although Larabars are tasty). And 2.) They’re Eileen bars, not Larabars, named after my friend Eileen who perfected the recipe. I know Eileen. I like Eileen. Who the hell is Lara?
2 cups raw cashews (or some other nuts)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 to 2 ½ cups pitted medjool dates
1 cup dried cherries (or other dried fruit)
1. Combine the cashews and vanilla in a food processor and whir until the nuts are chunkified.
2. Keep the food processor a-whirring while you add the dates (a handful or so at a time). Process until the mixture is finely crumbled.
3. Add the cherries and whir just enough to mix them into the date-nut mixture.
4. Dump the mixture into a dish (I use a 9 x 9 baking dish) and press it down firmly. Refrigerate for at least an hour and then slice into squares.
5. If you plan to travel with your Eileen bars, wrap each one individually in parchment paper. Eileen is a highly-skilled wrapper. Pete and I are not. Our wrapped bars look like this: