We always laugh at salad recipes, since they pretty much all include just throwing all of the ingredients into a bowl, tossing them together and then eating. This one's not much different.
a bunch of baby Spinach
a handful of strawberries, sliced
½ cup pecans
¼ cup dried cranberries
2 Tbsp goat cheese*
1. In a dry (no oil), non-stick frying pan, heat pecans over medium heat until fragrant (4 minutes or so).
2. Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
3. Toss with dressing (see below).
* Goat cheese is a great choice for anyone counting calories or the fat content of their food. It is low in saturated fats, and it's got way less lactose than other cheeses, so it's easier on the digestive system for lactose-intolerant folks.
Pete’s balsamic vinaigrette dressing
½ cup Extra-virgin Olive Oil
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp maple syrup
1. Combine ingredients in a salad dressing container and mix vigorously (we use a latte whip to make sure it gets nice and homogeneous).
2. Cover and store in the fridge when not in use.
3. Allow to come to room temperature and remix the next time you need it.
Taste the dressing and adjust the ingredients as you see fit. Many vinaigrette recipes are based on 3:1 ratio of oil to vinegar, but we like ours a little less oily. And with a higher quality balsamic, you can probably afford to cut back on the syrup.