It’s been HOT in Maine for the past few days. When it’s this hot, the idea of turning on the oven is fairly repulsive. The idea of eating anything other than popsicles is also pretty gross, but eventually we get hungry enough to eat something cold and refreshing like this yummy salad.
(This recipe is adapted from Eating Well.)
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
½ cup orange juice
4 tbsp rice vinegar
4 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1 mango, peeled and diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 can of black beans, rinsed
1. Pour the quinoa into a small dry saucepan and toast over medium heat, stirring often, for 4-6 minutes (until it starts smelling nutty).
2. Add water to the saucepan. Cover and bring to a simmer. Turn heat to low and cook until all the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, 15-20 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, whisk orange juice, rice vinegar, sesame oil and minced ginger together. Add mango, bell peppers and beans.
4. When the quinoa is done, stir it into the mango, bell pepper and bean mixture.
5. Serve as is or chill and serve.