These scrumptious burgers are made with lentils and quinoa, but let’s face it, if you were to offer a “lentil quinoa burger” to a carnivore, they’d run.
(Adapted from Women’s Health)
½ cup quinoa
1 19oz can lentils, rinsed
½ cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 cloves garlic, chopped
½ cup walnut pieces
juice of half a lemon
1 tbsp butter
2 onions, thinly sliced
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
crumbled goat cheese
balsamic glaze (or balsamic vinegar reduced into balsamic glaze)
1. Combine quinoa and 1 cup of water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes or until quinoa is cooked. Set aside to cool.
2. While the quinoa simmers, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until they’re translucent, 4-5 minutes. Add brown sugar and balsamic vinegar. Stir. Reduce heat to medium low and cover the pan. Cook for about 30 minutes, peeking every once in a while.
3. Preheat grill to medium.
4. In a large bowl, combine the cooled quinoa, bread crumbs, egg, garlic, lemon juice and half the lentils.
5. Place quinoa mixture in a food processor and mix until it becomes well-combined mush. Add the walnuts and the rest of the lentils and pulse until they’re incorporated.
6. Form the quinoa mixture into patties, brush both sides with olive oil and slap ‘em on the grill. Cook for 4 minutes per side.
7. Serve each burger with caramelized onions and crumbled goat cheese and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.