I used to make these all the time. And then I stopped. In fact, I totally forgot about them until I agreed to make a gluten-free dairy-free dessert for a baby shower. I will not forget about them again (partly because Pete keeps asking for more). And…they’re not just delicious. They’re easy to make—stupid easy.
2 egg whites
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
A little less than 1/8 tsp. salt
½ cup organic sugar
¼ tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup mini semisweet dairy-free chocolate chips (of course, if you don’t need these to be dairy-free, any mini semisweet chocolate chips will do)
1. Preheat oven to 250° and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Place egg whites in a bowl and, using an electric mixer on high, beat the egg whites until foamy.
3. Add cream of tartar and salt. Continue beating until the mixture begins to stiffen (ie. hold its shape when the beater stops).
4. Continue beating and gradually add the sugar.
5. Add the vanilla and beat until combined.
6. Gently fold the chocolate chips into the mixture using a rubber spatula.
7. Using a spoon, drop the meringues on the cookie sheets. (They won’t expand much so don’t fret about spacing.)
8. Bake for one hour. Let them cool and then store in an airtight container.