There’s delicious food (like the stuff created by all the recipes in this blog) and then there’s food that’s beyond delicious—the type of food that leaves you speechless. Food-induced speechlessness comes in two types: 1.) giddy, smiley, happy speechlessness (passion fruit sorbet has this effect on me) and 2.) moaning speechlessness. This dish, this mug of holy f***ing wonderfulness is guaranteed to cause type 2 speechlessness.
(From the Wall Street Journal)
9 oz. high-quality semisweet chocolate chips
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into cubes
¼ cup organic sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Set up a double boiler with barely simmering water in the bottom part of the double boiler and the chocolate and butter in the top part. Stir the chocolate mixture until it is melted and smooth. Set aside.
3. Combine eggs and sugar in a heatproof bowl.
4. Set the heatproof bowl atop the barely simmering water and whisk gently until the egg mixture is warm to the touch.
5. Transfer the egg mixture to a medium mixing bowl and beat (using an electric mixer) until the mixture is light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes.
6. Gently fold the chocolate into the egg mixture. Stir (gently!) until the mixture is fairly uniform in color.
7. Pour the batter into four heatproof mugs. Set the mugs in a baking dish and pour recently-boiled water into the baking dish until it comes halfway up the sides of the mugs.
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the tops are no longer glossy.