These are NOT healthy! But they’re absolutely positively delicious. They usually come out of the oven in ball-form, but this time they morphed into a cookie-ish shape. We’re not sure what happened, but it didn’t affect the taste. In fact, they seem to be a bit lighter, which is a good thing.
The original recipe comes from Erin. We’ve changed it a little bit.
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups flour (we used a gluten-free blend)
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 ½ cups old fashioned oats
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
12 oz. chocolate chips
2 large dark chocolate bars (about 3.5 oz each)
1 ½ cups dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Blend oats in food processor until it’s the consistency of flour.
3. Melt the chocolate bars in the microwave. Do not let the chocolate burn!
4. In an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar and brown sugar.
5. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix.
6. Add flour, oats and baking powder and mix until everything is combined. The mixture will be dense…this is why you want to use an electric mixer.
7. Add melted chocolate. Mix to combine.
8. Add chocolate chips and dried cranberries. Mix to combine.
9. Erin says to roll them into balls and place them 2-inches apart on a cookie sheet. That’s what I did the first time I made them. This time the batter stuck to my hands so much that rolling the dough into balls was a pain in the butt. After the first cookie sheet, I just scooped the dough out with a spoon and plopped it on the cookie sheet.
10. Bake for 8-10 minutes.