Friday, October 30, 2009

Susy-Inspired Shepherd's Pie


I HATE Shepherd’s Pie. Next to “Welsh Rarebit” (saltines drizzled with a gooey orange cheese-like substance), Shepherd’s Pie was the most disgusting dish served in my elementary school cafeteria. I still believe that if you want a burger, peas and mashed potatoes, you should eat a burger, peas and mashed potatoes instead of mixing it all together in some sort of “pie.” Alas, my friend Susy recently opened my eyes to a different kind of Shepherd’s Pie—one that includes yummy things like sweet potatoes and carrots.

Armed with the crazy idea that Shepherd’s Pie could be tasty and a few ideas from a recipe for Autumn Vegetable Shepherd’s Pie from the Canyon Ranch Cooks cookbook, I set out to give Shepherd’s Pie another chance…and it was really good!

1 package ground turkey

2 lbs sweet potatoes (2 big ‘uns)

2 cups peeled and sliced carrots

1 butternut squash, peeled and diced

½ cup diced onions

½ cup diced celery

3 tbsp olive oil

½ tsp dried rosemary

¾ cup vegetable stock

¾ cup apple cider

3 tsp brown sugar

½ tsp peeled and grated fresh ginger

2 tsp maple syrup

orange juice, to taste (somewhere between ¼ and 1/3 cup)

1. Peel sweet potatoes and cut into chunks.

2. Bring water to boil in a large saucepan. Add sweet potatoes and cook until soft when poked with fork. Drain and set aside.

3. Brown turkey in a small skillet, using just enough oil to keep the turkey from sticking to the pan. Set aside.

4. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add carrots, butternut squash, onions and celery. Sauté until onions are translucent.

5. Add rosemary and continue cooking for 5 minutes.

6. Add vegetable stock, apple cider and brown sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, 25 minutes or so.

7. Preheat oven to 350°.

8. Using an electric mixer or a food processor, puree the sweet potatoes, ginger and maple syrup. Add orange juice to taste. Mix well.

9. Assemble the “pie” in a casserole dish: first the ground turkey, then the vegetables and finally the sweet potatoes.

10. Bake for 15 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. This looks great! I'm glad you gave Shepards Pie another try. I have all the ingredients in my refrigerator as I type this...hmmmm,I wonder what I will be having for dinner.:)

    ReplyDelete