Here’s a cozy dish for a snowy winter evening. This is our version of a Cook’s Illustrated recipe.
1 package penne
2 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp EVOO
1 bunch asparagus, washed and trimmed*
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 package (at least 5 cups) arugula, washed and dried
6 ounces feta cheese or blue cheese
2 tbsp cider vinegar
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
*For tips on trimming asparagus, see our recipe for Tofu Mojito.
1. Cook penne until al dente. Drain and return to pot.
2. Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a non-stick skillet over high heat until it starts to smoke.
3. Add asparagus and cook for about 1 minute (don’t stir!), until the asparagus starts to brown.
4. Turn the heat to medium-high. Add walnuts and cook, stirring, for about 4 minutes, until nuts are toasted and asparagus is tender-crisp.
5. Add arugula and cook until wilted.
6. Add asparagus, walnuts, arugula, cheese, apple, cider vinegar and EVOO to pasta. Toss to combine.