Everyone needs a good tomato sauce recipe—even if you usually just use the stuff from a jar (which we do). Here’s our favorite recipe. And for the record, it’s not just good…it’s awesome (especially on homemade roasted red pepper and goat cheese ravioli).
2 tbsp EVOO
3-4 cloves garlic (or 2 big cloves), minced
40 oz. diced, peeled tomatoes (we use a 28oz. can + a 14.5oz. can)
3 cups chicken stock
1 bay leaf
3 oz. orange juice (fresh-squeezed or at least high quality stuff)
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1. Heat EVOO in a saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant—do not let it burn! (30 seconds to 2 minutes)
3. Add tomatoes, chicken stock, bay leaf, orange juice, cinnamon and cayenne.
4. Reduce heat to medium low and bring to a slow simmer. Simmer, slowly, for 15 minutes.
5. Reduce heat to low and cook for 1 hour. The sauce will reduce.
6. Stir in basil right before serving.