This delicious dish is adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod. We’ve made it as a pizza and a calzone. The pizza is prettier and quite frankly, in a head-to-head taste test, the pizza would win, but the calzone was still delicious. To make butternut squash calzones, follow the pizza recipe below, but place the ingredients on one half of the dough and then fold it into a calzone. Poke a few holes in the top of the calzone and bake at 400° for 10 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
Pizza dough of your choice (we use spelt dough)
Butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
Yellow onion, caramelized (a caramelized red onion would’ve been delicious too)
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. In a large bowl, toss butternut squash with olive oil until squash is coated.
3. Spread squash on a baking sheet. Place on the top shelf of oven and roast 30-40 minutes, until squash is tender and starting to brown.
4. Prepare pizza dough. Sprinkle with corn meal for a little extra grip.
5. When squash is done, jack the oven temperature up to 475°.
6. Sprinkle pizza dough with garlic, top with squash, caramelized onions, golden raisins, mozzarella and feta. Sprinkle with dried rosemary.
7. Bake 12-15 minutes.
8. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and mangia!