This is Makai’s favorite part of Thanksgiving. Note: Makai is a dog. We make no claims about the taste or healthiness of this dish for human consumption.
This recipe is from The Good Food Cookbook for Dogs.
1 tbsp vegetable oil*
½ pound turkey or chicken giblets
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken broth
1. In a small skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add giblets. Cook, stirring frequently for 5 minutes, or until giblets are cooked through.
2. Remove giblets from pan using a slotted spoon. Cut into small pieces.
3. Return the oil in the skillet to medium heat and add flour. Stir to form a flour and oil paste.
4. Slowly add chicken broth, stirring constantly. Make sure you scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
5. Return giblets to the pan and stir. Cook 1-2 minutes, until gravy comes to a boil and thickens a little bit.
6. Serve a few spoonfuls over your dog’s regular food.
7. Refrigerate leftovers in a sealed container.
*The recipe calls for 2 tbsp vegetable oil, but this produces a lot of splatter. We suggest starting with 1 tbsp and adding more as needed.