This recipe was inspired by Erin (of Married to a Non-Foodie fame). Of course, we butchered it. We’re kind of wimpy when it comes to spicy stuff so we toned down the heat in the marinade and the salsa. We also LOVE mango—and watermelon, well, we love the novelty of it (and love those Friendly’s watermelon ice cream cakes), but just don’t love it enough to put it on top of our chicken.
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp EVOO
1 tsp chili powder
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 chicken breasts
2 mangoes (peeled and cubed)
¼ cup finely chopped red onion
juice from 1 lime
½ tsp sugar
1. Combine oregano, EVOO, chili powder, garlic and chicken in a ziplock. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes, but no longer than 4 hours, turning occasionally.
2. Combine all the rest of the ingredients for the salsa.
3. Grill chicken on a medium-hot grill for about 5 minutes per side (longer for thicker pieces)
4. Serve salsa on top of the chicken.
For the grilled squash:
1. Mix about a tablespoon or two each of olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a small bowl.
2. Slice squash on the bias, into ½ inch- or ¼ inch-thick pieces.
3. Brush the mixture of olive oil and balsamic onto one side of the squash pieces and place them (basted side down) on an oiled, medium-hot grill. Baste the naked side of the squash with the remaining mixture, wait 5-6 minutes or until the bottom side is sufficiently marked, then flip ‘em.
4. Once the squash start turning translucent, they're done.
Note: The leftovers (chicken and salsa) are fabulous with pasta the next day.