This dish, with its light and refreshing flavors and minimal effort, is perfect for a hot night. It’s also a perfect de-tox dinner (for those times when you need to recover from multiple dinners out and all you really want for dinner is a bowl of cereal). The recipe is from Eating Well.
¼ cup lemon juice
1 tbsp EVOO
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp dried oregano
1 package extra-firm tofu
for the salad:
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 cucumber, diced
¼ cup chopped scallions
¼ cup chopped parsley
2 tbsp EVOO
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1. In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, 1 tbsp EVOO, garlic and oregano together.
2. Set aside 2 tbsp of the marinade (the lemon juice mixture) for basting.
3. Prep the tofu: drain, cut into ½-inch (or so) thick slabs and pat dry with paper towels.
4. Place the tofu slabs in a shallow dish or pie plate and add the marinade. Turn to coat every inch of the tofu. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, but no more than 8 hours.
5. Toss the tomatoes, cucumber, scallions, parsley, 2 tbsp EVOO and white wine vinegar together in a bowl. Serve the salad within an hour of tossing.
6. Lightly oil the grill.
7. Drain tofu and discard marinade.
8. Grill tofu over medium-high heat, basting with reserved 2 tbsp marinade occasionally, for about 3-4 minutes per side (or until it’s lightly browned).
9. Serve the salad on top of the tofu.